Natania Barron believes in monsters and hopes you do, too. She’s the author of dozens of short stories, a fistful of novellas, and a few novels. All of these works contain monsters of one variety of another, but not all of them wear monstrous skins.
When not traveling through imagined worlds, she lives in North Carolina with her family, where she traipses through the forest on a regular basis, bakes incessantly, drinks an inordinate amount of tea, and dreams of someday owning a haunted house of her own.
Her work has appeared in Weird Tales, EscapePod, Steampunk Tales, Crossed Genres, Bull Spec, and various anthologies. Her longer works run the gamut from Edwardian urban fantasy to tales of the rock and roll world. She is also the founder of The Outer Alliance, a group dedicated to queer advocacy in speculative fiction. She’s also an outspoken advocate for mental health rights, particularly pertaining to her son Liam, who has autism.
Natania holds a BA in English/Writing from Loyola University Maryland and an MA in English with a concentration in medieval literature from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. During the day she works as a Global Marketing Director in clinical research. This amazing job allows her to do her other favorite thing: travel!
As a mental health activist, especially regarding adolescent care, Natania has drawn nationwide attention for her writing, including mainstream news and television appearances. Inspired by her son Liam’s struggle through the school system as a child with high functioning autism and a variety of other challenges, she is an outspoken advocate. You can read more about her story at Medium.
Novels & Collections:
- Pilgrim of the Sky – December 2011, Candlemark & Gleam
- Rock Revival – July 2018, Falstaff Books
- These Marvelous Beasts: The Complete Frost & Filigree Series — January 2020, Falstaff Books
- Queen of None – November 2020, Vernacular Books
- Gods of Londinium – July 2021, Falstaff Books
- Wothwood – Falstaff Books, February 2017
- Frost & Filigree – Falstaff Books, June 2017
- Masks & Malevolence – Falstaff Books, February 2019
- Time & Temper – December 2019
- GEEKMOM: Projects, Tips, and Adventures for Moms and Their 21st Century Families – October 2012, Potter Craft (Crown, Random House)
- “Dr. Adderson’s Lens” – Gatehouse Gazette #8/Bull Spec #1 (reprint)
- “The Brass Pedestal” – Steampunk Tales #4
- “Dead’s End to Middleton” – Crossed Genres #16, Steampunk Issue/ EscapePod 273
- “A Dear, Lovely Thing” – Faerie Magazine #20; We Are Not This, Falstaff Press (2016)
- “The Monastery of the Seven Hands” – Dark Futures
- “The Wakened Image” – Weird Tales #356, collaborative poetry and art with Brigid Ashwood.
- “Sand” – Bull Spec #3 (in French, Spanish, and English)
- “Without a Light” – Fantastique Unfettered
- “Pushing Paper in Hartleigh” — Subversion: Science Fiction & Fantasy Tales Challenging the Norm (2011)
- “The One in the Swamp” Shotguns v. Cthulhu, Stone Skin Press ( March 2012)
- “Fish Eyes” – Bull Spec #8 (2012)
- “Occupied” – Kaiju Rising: Age of Monsters, The Mammoth Book of Kaiju (2016)
- “Exalted Among Us” – Tales from the Age of Sorrows, Onyx Path Press (2016)
- “The Matter of Aude” – Swords v. Cthulhu (2016)
- “Dreams of Craidmore” – The Endless Ages Anthology, Onyx Path Press (2016)
- “Two Moons and Red Bread” – Tales of the Lost Citadel (2017)
- “Webs and Windows in Pescadero” – Strange California (2017)
- “The Forester’s Son” – Sovereigns of the Blue Rose: A Blue Rose Anthology – Nisaba Press/Green Ronin (2019)
- “Prima Nocta Upgrade” – The Way of the Laser – Vernacular Books (2020)
- “Nights in Novosibirsk” – Eldritch Century Anthology (2020)
- The Aldersgate (podcast draft of novel)
- Castledeck and the Arabella (steampunk adventure set in the Aldersgate universe)
- Pilgrim of the Sky: LIVE! – A live reading of the novel!