Natania Barron believes in monsters and hopes you do, too.
The award-winning fantasy author of Queen of None, Natania Barron is preoccupied with mythology, monsters, mayhem, and magic. From medieval tales to Regency fantasy romance, her often historically-inspired novels are lush with description and vibrant characters. Of her first novel, Pilgrim of the Sky, Library Journal wrote: “Barron’s debut is an sf adventure that mixes high action with exquisitely detailed depictions of everyday existence in these alternate worlds.”
In 2021, Queen of None won the Manly Wade Wellman Award for speculative fiction.
She is represented by Stacey Graham at 3 Seas Literary.
Praise for Queen of None:
“…a layered, engaging retelling sure to please fans of the Arthurian tales.”
— Publishers Weekly
“A captivating look at the intriguing figures in King Arthur’s golden realm.”
— Kirkus Reviews
Natania’s shorter work has appeared in Weird Tales, EscapePod, and various anthologies and RPG settings. On Twitter, she’s known for her #ThreadTalks, which dive deep into the unseen world of fashion history–one of their favorite topics–as well as a meme or two. She identifies bisexual and demisexual, and goes by she/her/they pronouns.
In terms of academics, the author holds a BA in English/Writing from Loyola University Maryland and an MA in English with a concentration in medieval literature from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. Though she left academia physically, she’s never stopped researching. Natania can regularly be found deep in the tomes of digitized illuminated manuscripts around the world.
As a mental health activist, especially regarding adolescent care, Natania has drawn nationwide attention for her writing, including mainstream news and television appearances. Additionally, she writes extensively about her own later-in-life ADHD diagnosis.
When not traveling through imagined worlds, she lives in North Carolina with her family, where she traipses through the forest on a regular basis, bakes incessantly, drinks an inordinate amount of tea, and dreams of someday owning a haunted house of her own.
Novels & Collections:
- Rock Revival – July 2018, Falstaff Books
- These Marvelous Beasts: The Complete Frost & Filigree Series — January 2020, Falstaff Books
- Queen of None – November 2020, Vernacular Books
- Pilgrim of the Sky –– (2011) September 2022 Falstaff Books reissue
- Gods of Londinium – December 2022, Falstaff Books
- Queen of Fury – TBD
- Wothwood – Falstaff Books, February 2017
- Frost & Filigree – Falstaff Books, June 2017
- Masks & Malevolence – Falstaff Books, February 2019
- Time & Temper – December 2019
- GEEKMOM: Projects, Tips, and Adventures for Moms and Their 21st Century Families – October 2012, Potter Craft (Crown, Random House)
- “Dr. Adderson’s Lens” – Gatehouse Gazette #8/Bull Spec #1 (reprint)
- “The Brass Pedestal” – Steampunk Tales #4
- “Dead’s End to Middleton” – Crossed Genres #16, Steampunk Issue/ EscapePod 273
- “A Dear, Lovely Thing” – Faerie Magazine #20; We Are Not This, Falstaff Press (2016)
- “The Monastery of the Seven Hands” – Dark Futures
- “The Wakened Image” – Weird Tales #356, collaborative poetry and art with Brigid Ashwood.
- “Sand” – Bull Spec #3 (in French, Spanish, and English)
- “Without a Light” – Fantastique Unfettered
- “Pushing Paper in Hartleigh” — Subversion: Science Fiction & Fantasy Tales Challenging the Norm (2011)
- “The One in the Swamp” Shotguns v. Cthulhu, Stone Skin Press ( March 2012)
- “Fish Eyes” – Bull Spec #8 (2012)
- “Occupied” – Kaiju Rising: Age of Monsters, The Mammoth Book of Kaiju (2016)
- “Exalted Among Us” – Tales from the Age of Sorrows, Onyx Path Press (2016)
- “The Matter of Aude” – Swords v. Cthulhu (2016)
- “Dreams of Craidmore” – The Endless Ages Anthology, Onyx Path Press (2016)
- “Two Moons and Red Bread” – Tales of the Lost Citadel (2017)
- “Webs and Windows in Pescadero” – Strange California (2017)
- “The Forester’s Son” – Sovereigns of the Blue Rose: A Blue Rose Anthology – Nisaba Press/Green Ronin (2019)
- “Prima Nocta Upgrade” – The Way of the Laser – Vernacular Books (2020)
- “Nights in Novosibirsk” – Eldritch Century Anthology (2020)
- “A Draught of Holly” – Tales From the Mount – Nisaba Press, Green Ronin (2021)